Ashwagandha is one of the popularly used herb worldwide. Owing to its numerous health benefits this herb has been favorite amongst the people especially in the Indian subcontinent. Ashwagandha is a native of India and is commonly known as Indian ginseng. It holds a high place in ayurveda and has been found mentioning in various traditional ayurvedic texts and Vedas. Ashwangandha is considered as a Rasayna as per ayurveda that means a herb that provides longevity.
Ashwagandha gets its properties from alkaloids called withinoids that provides it with the medicinal properties. The chemical composition of this herb is such that it helps in improving the stamina as well as raises the energy levels in the body. Its active ingredient helps in generating extra ATP which is considered to be as the energy source in body. It is said to activate mitochondria in a cell that is considered to be an energy producing component of the cell.
Ashwagandha has numerous health benefits and is very widely used in so many ayurvedic medicines. It is supposed to normalize vata in the body. Vata is an element in the body that brings about movements in the body. It is also a culprit that brings about pains as well as aging in the body.
Benefits of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha or withinia somnifera has many benefits. Some of the important benefits are mentioned below
- It is a rasayana as per ayurveda hence it is helpful in retarding the aging process thus prevents early old age.
- Ashwagandha also have excellent effect o the mental health. It helps in relaxing the mind hence is effective in reducing the anxiety problem.
- Ashwagandha is also supposed to maintain the blood pressure in the body. It has the unique quality that it normalizes blood pressure and can be used both ways in high as well as low blood pressure problem.
- It is considered to be boon for people who are suffering from Insomnia and other mental diseases
- It is also effective in bipolar disorders.
- Ashwagandha is quite effective joint pains and arthritis problem. Its helps in relieving from the stiffness from the joint and is also helpful in bringing down the pains.
- Ashwagandha is very effective in reducing the inflammation in case of any injury. It reduces swelling and acts as natural pain killer.
Ashwagandha is an herb that is a drug of choice of many diseases. It is an wonderful and effective herb that has so many uses.